Residents Launch COVID-19 Relief Fund for Manhattan Beach BusinessesMay 06, 2020 06:14PM ● By Jeanne Fratello
Manhattan Beach residents love their local businesses - and they want to make sure those businesses make it through the COVID-19 crisis.
That's the thought behind a new relief fund known as "Local Love for Manhattan Beach," which aims to help local businesses weather the storm.
Longtime residents Jeff and Peir Serota launched the fund with a generous initial donation. They developed the fund along with the Manhattan Beach Chamber of Commerce and the Manhattan Beach Rotary Club.
Through local networking and fundraising efforts, the fund has reached $350,000, said Serota, who added that he was optimistic about being able to double or even triple the fund. "The more we can raise, the more grants we can give out," he told the Manhattan Beach City Council at last night's meeting.
Applicants, Donors Sought
The group has partnered with the one2one USA Foundation, a 501c-3 organization that will administer the grants, including assessing the eligibility of applicants and overseeing the disbursement of the grants.
LLMB will focus on the owners of small, independent, street level, brick-and-mortar, or “Mom and Pop” shops, as they and their families struggle to keep their heads above water while faced with the challenge of restarting their business and regaining their livelihoods.
Individual grant amounts will range from $5,000 to $20,000.
To be eligible for a grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be the owner of a business with up to 30 full-time employees;
- Must have a business located within and licensed to do business in the Downtown Manhattan Beach Business and Professional Association, or the North Manhattan Beach Business Improvement District, for over one year;
- Must have had their business significantly impacted by COVID-19;
- Must be a United States citizen or Green Card holder;
- Must not be related to or employed by a donor to the program ;
- Must not be related to any officer, director or employee of one2one USA Foundation.
Completed applications are due no later than May 15, 2020 and will be reviewed concurrently. Any completed applications received after May 15, 2020 will be reviewed in the order they are submitted.
To apply for funding, or to donate to the fund, visit Local Love for Manhattan Beach.