Neptunian Woman's Club Grants $51,000 in ScholarshipsJun 15, 2021 04:57PM ● By Jeanne Fratello
The Neptunian Woman's Club at 10th and Highland in Manhattan Beach. Photo via Neptunian Woman's Club.
The Neptunian Woman's Club of Manhattan Beach has distributed $51,000 in scholarships to local Mira Costa and El Camino College students.
The club ran several successful fundraising efforts over the past year to add to its scholarship fund. Those fundraisers included new traditions such as the Halloween Pet Photo Contest, the Valentine's Day Love of Learning fundraiser, and the Walk 4 Scholars event in May.
Heather de Roos, VP for fundraising at the Neptunian Woman's Club, shared a video that showed Mira Costa students expressing their gratitude for the scholarships. "It is truly inspiring to hear from these students about how your donation is helping them achieve their dreams," she said.
The scholarships are open to Mira Costa High School seniors, and to El Camino College students enrolled in specialized programs such as Nursing, STEM, or Fine Arts, based on at least a semester at ECC.
To qualify for the academic scholarship, students must have a 3.5 GPA or higher, participate in community service within the last year, and demonstrate financial need. To qualify for an art or music scholarship, students must have a 3.2 or higher, participate in community service within the last year, and demonstrate financial need.
The scholarship recipients are as follows:
2020-21 Mira Costa High School Scholarship Fund Recipients ($4,000 each)
- Parth Badhwar - George Washington University - Political Science
- Kate Gebele - Baylor University - Pre-Med
- Samantha Gentille - University of California, Davis - Animal Science
- Andonia Goergen - San Diego State - Business Administration
- Slater Hendrich - Belmont University - Music/Songwriting
- Daichi Horiguichi - Stanford - Aerospace Engineering
- Ethan Mibu - University of California, Berkeley
- Torah Noah - University of California, Santa Cruz - Computer Science
- Piper Stevens - Dartmouth College - Chemistry/Pre-Med
- Michaela Webb - Tulane - Public Health/French
2020-21 El Camino College Scholarship Fund Recipients ($1,000 each)
- Sophia DeRementeria - Business
- Haseeb Khan - Business
- Melemoala Tuifua - Science
- Ashley Olvera - Science
- Dehao Li - Science
- Jillian Kaufman - Fine Arts
- Sasha Anderson - Fine Arts
- Crustal Melendez - Fine Arts
- Tasha Harper - Nursing
- Makaiya Von Stentzch - Nursing
- Veronica Tapia - Nursing
The Neptunian Woman’s Club, founded in 1909, is the oldest civic organization in the South Bay. It is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to volunteerism and the raising of funds in support of charitable, educational, cultural and civic services.
The club welcomes donations to its scholarship fund at any time at http://neptunians.org/scholarship-fund/.