Manhattan Beach News BriefsSep 14, 2023 08:44AM ● By Mb News Staff
Welcome to the MBNews newsroom, where lots of little news items cross our desk and we don't always have time to share them all. So today we're giving you a brief wrap-up of newsworthy tidbits from around town:
- Tuesday marked the grand opening of the Strand Parcourse fitness equipment, donated by the Manhattan Beach 10K race committee, at 26th and the Strand. Since
the first MB 10K, the race's total donations
to the community surpass $675,000 and include Mira Costa track refurbishing, an exercise facility
at the Manhattan Beach Middle School, a climbing wall at Manhattan Heights Park,
Strand mile markers, the play structure at Polliwog Park, and artificial turf at
AYSO field on Marine. The 46th running of the MB 10K will take place on October 7 - register here.
- Got a little one? The new Piper Preschool at Trinity Lutheran Church in Manhattan Beach is holding a grand opening party and tours of the facility on Thursday night, September 14, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. RSVP here.
- Stand4Peace is once again hosting an event in honor of the U.N's International Day of Peace, on September 21 from 5:30 to 6:15 p.m. at the Manhattan Beach Manhattan Beach City Hall Civic Complex (outside the Police/Fire departments). The event will feature local speakers and an appearance by the Mira Costa High School choir. More information is available at www.stand4peace.org.
- Kinecta Federal Credit Union is hosting a 2-for-1 fundraising campaign to support the Hawai’i Community Foundation and the people of Maui devastated by the recent wildfires. For every $1 donated to the Hawai’i Community Foundation – Maui Strong campaign, Kinecta will donate $2 toward Maui fire relief efforts up to $10,000. All donations will go directly to support those affected. The campaign runs from now through September 22. Visit any Kinecta branch or Kinecta’s donation page online to contribute.
- Early bird ticket pricing for this year's TEDx Manhattan Beach is available from now through October 13. Prices range from $49 to $165, depending on which experience you choose. Your ticket guarantees your spot to hear from dynamic thought pioneers who are shaping the future. This year's TEDx Manhattan Beach will be held on Saturday, November 4, at Mira Costa High School.
- Heal the Bay is hosting Coastal Cleanup Day across Southern California on Saturday, September 23 from 9:00 a.m. to noon. There are two official cleanups taking place in Manhattan Beach: One at the Manhattan Beach Pier with the Roundhouse Aquarium, and one in El Porto at 45th Street. Sign up here to volunteer.
- If you're looking to splurge on a wine-tasting dinner, for $295 per person, you can explore the best of Paul Hobbs Winery with Wine Director Guy Sandin at BOA Steakhouse on September 26. The dinner includes a 6-course tasting menu with an A5 Kagoshima Oscar style, a Chilean sea bass and uni, lamb bolognese tagliatelle pasta with olives and ricotta salata; and port with cherry mousse, sorbet, and chocolate for dessert. More information is available here.
- If you haven't already read MBNews this week, don't forget to check out the National Merit Semi-Finalists from Manhattan Beach, the closing of BREWCO, Manhattan Beach's 9/11 ceremony, and the return of the parcel tax discussion.
- And finally, just a heads-up that schools in Manhattan Beach are off on Monday, September 25, so plan (your travels or your local plans) accordingly.